Updated August 17, 2008.
The Nikon 80-200mm AF-S is the 4th AF 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom from Nikon. It was the first one to feature the silent-wave motor, a major upgrade in itself. With this lens you don't have to worry about touching the focus ring as you use AF, you can actually override the Auto focus without damaging the lens. It also features focus lock, three buttons around the lens, which you use to stop the AF, a brilliant feature. It also feature a new optical formula, 18 elements in 14 groups(5 ED), compared to 16 elements in 11 groups(3 ED) from the 80-200 f/2.8D.
||18 elements in 14 groups (5 ED)
||30° 10 12° 20 (35mm/FX)
|Minimum focus distance:
|| 1.5m / 4.9 ft.
||Front lens cap
Rear lens cap LF-1
HB-17 Lens Hood
Dia: × length mm / x in
||1725g / oz
|| 9 rounded blades
- Sharp. This is one of the sharpest lenses I've used, this and the 17-35 f/2.8 is top notch.
- Fast. The AF-S works really good, and its faster then the old version.
- Focus lock. I know a lot of people don't use this, but if you get used to it, you will see this is a great feature.
- Lens Hood. The new and improved lens hood really works.
- Removable tripod mount. I really like this Feature(especially since the lens is so heavy)
80-200AF-S tripod vs 80-200D tripod
- Heavy.This is a heavy piece of glass(weighs 200 grams more then the 80-200mm f/2.8D)
- Expensive. Even second hand this lens sells for quite a bit, then again you are paying for quality.
- Flare, use the lens hood at all times as the lens flairs easaly.
I really like this lens, it outperforms the Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8D in everything, except price maybe. Not much more to say about this lens, performance is outstanding. If you can get your hands on this lens for a fair price, it's a winner. The AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8 does not have any problems on the FX format, like the newer 70-200mm f/2.8 VR(mk1). Use the lens hood at all times as the lens is prone to flare.
Purchasing items through these links helps me adding more content to this website. The links takes you to B&H's website, which is my recommended store to get equipment from. I've used B&H personally since 2005, and I get all my equipment from them these days(including the lenses used for these reviews). Thanks for your support, Fredrik.
Nikon AF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED AF-S VR. Price From: $519.95 USD
Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD Price: $729.95 USD
Nikon AF 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-DPrice From: $1,049.95 USD
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR. Price From: $1,949.95 USD
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR II Price From: $2,249.00 USD
*Prices and rebates are subject to change. Listed price is from March 9, 2010
Images have been imported to photoshop CS3 through Capture NX 2 thus leaving the original image settings as shot, I. E white balance, sharpening, etc .etc. Full resolution sample images are in RGB color mode. Check out my copyright page for information about usage of these images.